The two defense firms involved in the Air Force’s highly secret new fighter-jet project are working closely with program engineers at the service’s design-and-development hub in Ohio, service secretary Frank Kendall said Monday.
The Air Force has “intimate knowledge” of both companies’ early-stage work on the stealthy Next Generation Air Dominance, or NGAD, aircraft, and has “separate teams working with each of them,” Kendall told reporters Monday during a Defense Writers Group event.
Kendall said he visited Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Ohio, home of the NGAD program office, where he saw a government engineer “working directly with one of the two contractors. He was on one of the teams and interfacing with them on the design.”
The Air Force “is living in the same design space” as the companies. “They have direct access into the database that’s being used for the design,” he said.
The Secretary did not say who or what the contractors were, just that he had two.
Service officials announced last week that they will pick a builder for NGAD in 2024. The solicitation release “formally begins the source selection process” for NGAD, according to last week’s statement, but the actual solicitation sent to companies is classified “to protect operational and technological advantages.”
The identities of the companies doing development work on the U.S. military’s first sixth-generation fighter remain under wraps. Lockheed Martin (F-35, F-16) and Boeing (F/A-18, F-15) are the only two U.S. firms that currently build fighter jets. But Northrop Grumman, which builds the Air Force’s new B-21 Raider bomber, is a major supplier to both, providing parts for the F-35 and F/A-18.
Kendall said the NGAD program won’t repeat a “serious mistake” it made with the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter: allowing a contractor to retain ownership of the technical data rights. Lockheed Martin has such rights for the F-35 program, and that has given the company a significant amount of power to manage sustainment costs of the aircraft.
“I struggled for years to defeat acquisition malpractice. We’re still struggling with that to some degree, so we’re not going to do that with NGAD. Kendall stated that they would ensure the government had ownership over the intellectual properties it needed.
The new fighter jet will have a modular design so the Air Force can bring in new suppliers and have a “tighter degree” of control over the future of the program, he said.
“It’s been a real struggle with the F-35, quite honestly. It’s not just about the prime, it’s about the subs too, who are just as interested in maintaining their business position as anybody else’s. Kendall added, “We hope that we have learned this lesson and applied it in NGAD.”
NGAD is set to replace the F-22 Raptor, a fifth-generation stealth fighter that is considered one of the best air-to-air combat jets ever built. The F-22 can fly at supersonic speeds without using an afterburner and has thrust-vectoring engines giving it more maneuverability than prior-generation jets.
The origin of the new fighter goes back to the Obama administration when the Air Force asked DARPA to conduct a study on air dominance, Kendall said.
“This was a lengthy study which produced a conclusion that we would need a system family to achieve future dominance. Not just the platform. The things surrounding it, and those that support them. Weapons. It’s the weapons. He said that it could be a variety of things including unmanned aircraft.
Near the end of the Obama administration, Kendall began a program called the “Aerospace Innovation Initiative” to develop sixth-generation technologies needed for future air dominance and build experimental prototypes, or “X-planes,” to “bring those technologies forward,” he said.
“We ordered that contract, I think, in 2015 and that produced experimental prototypes that have verified, validated, [and] proved out the technologies that we set out to acquire and so those are the bases for the NGAD program going forward,” Kendall said.
The Air Force has requested $1. 9 billion in research and development funds for the NGAD project in its 2024 budget request sent to Congress earlier this year.
The post Air Force Working Closely with New-Jet Designers, Secretary Says appeared first on Defense One.